Zesty lemon cuts into creamy coconut to give you this melt-in-the-mouth cheesecake. It is no-bake, so once you’ve made the base and whizzed the topping in a food processor you’re pretty much done with the active preparation. Just leave it in the fridge for a few hours to set, then eat. Recipe is by Chrissy from Vegan Tuck Box – we’ve tweaked it a bit.
Make sure you grate the zest off the lemon before you squeeze it for the juice.
Base – 3.5 oz (100g) vegan margarine
9 oz (250g) vegan ginger biscuits or digestive biscuits
Topping – 13 oz (375g) firm tofu, drained and chopped
3⁄4 block (150g) creamed coconut, chopped small
31⁄2 oz (105g) vegan margarine
41⁄2 oz (128g) caster sugar
Juice of 2-3 lemons
Decoration – dessicated coconut
Grated lemon rind (organic or unwaxed)
1. Start by making the base; break the biscuits into crumbs using a food processor or put them into a sturdy and clean plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Melt the margarine in a saucepan over a low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the crushed biscuits thoroughly. Press down well into a 9 inch/23 cm round springform tin (ideally) or a 9 inch flan dish and place in the fridge.
2. Next make the topping; place the tofu, creamed coconut, margarine, sugar and juice of two of the lemons into a food processor. Blend until smooth, this takes a few minutes. Don’t rush the blending stage because you want the mixture really smooth for a melt in the mouth texture when it’s set and ready to eat. Taste and add more lemon juice if needed.
3. Place the topping into the flan dish on top of the base, smooth down and decorate with desiccated coconut and lemon rind. Chill for a few hours in a covered container until set.
- A few hours is enough to set the cheesecake, but if you can plan this in advance and leave it overnight to set, it will be that little bit firmer.
- If you use Cauldron tofu in this cheesecake, we recommend pressing it before use.
- Recipe for palm oil free vegan margarine here:
- Many biscuits contain palm oil. Options are to make your own palm oil free biscuits or use oats: use this recipe for the base instead of the one above.
Melt 4 oz (115g) vegan margarine and 1 tablespoon golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in 8 oz (225g) oats thoroughly. Press down well into a 9 inch flan dish and place in the fridge.