These chocolate cupcakes are flavoured with hints of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange to give a warm zesty flavour. For chocolate orange cupcakes leave out the spices. Use organic or unwaxed oranges.
Maya Gold Chocolate Cupcakes
8 oz (225g) caster sugar
2 round dessertspoons (30g) cocoa powder
9 oz (250g) plain white flour
3 oz (85g) plain wholemeal flour
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
6 floz (170ml) vegetable oil
2/3 pint (350ml) cold water
2 tsp vanilla essence
4 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp grated orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line your cupcake tins with 12 large cupcake cases.
2. Sieve sugar, cocoa, flours, spices and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl and mix well.
3. Measure out oil, water, vanilla essence, vinegar and orange zest and add to dry ingredients. Combine well, but do not beat.
4. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
5. Cool thoroughly and top with dark chocolate icing (recipe below) and sprinkle grated chocolate on top.
4 oz (120g) vegan dark chocolate, e.g. Plamil
extra chocolate for decoration
1 round dessertspoon icing sugar – optional
Melt chocolate with sugar in a double saucepan and spread over cupcakes. Decorate with grated chocolate and leave to set.