This gluten-free cashew roast is as good as any wheat-based nut roasts that we’ve tried. I think the secret is that it’s packed with veggies alongside the cashews, which make it nice and moist. They also add to the flavour, along with the seasonings of course.
It is delicious served with vegan gravy, and steamed greens and potatoes. It also works cold served with lots of salad.
Creamy Cashew Nut Roast
1. Place onion and celery in a saucepan with oil and saute until onion and celery begin to soften. Add garlic, carrots and courgettes, cover with a lid and continue to saute the vegetables until they are just soft.
2. Meanwhile grind the cashew nuts finely, leave a few fairly chunky if you like, to add a bit of texture. Do this by pulsing them in a food processor until they are the texture you want.
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in cashews, tomato puree and herbs. Season well with salt, tasting as you go along.
4. Place in a greased 2 lb/900g loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper and bake in a preheated 180C/350F/gas mark 4 oven for 3/4-1 hour or until golden brown. The centre should still feel soft to touch. Suitable for freezing. Serves 4-5.
Variations and tips:
- Almonds can replace up to half of the cashews
- This tastes good in sandwiches, if you have any leftover.