We recently updated our recipe for cashew roast as the old recipe required three pans (one for onions and carrots, one for celery and courgette and one for potato). The new recipe – below – only requires one pan so is much quicker and easier to make with less washing up. It is just as yummy – of course!
Half the cashews are ground finely to help bind the roast. The rest are left chunky, they give the dish a nice texture.
As we mentioned in the original recipe, it is delicious served with our favourite gravy, and steamed greens and potatoes.
Creamy Cashew Nut & Almond Roast
1. Place onion, celery and garlic in a saucepan with oil and saute until onion and celery begin to soften. Add carrots and courgettes, cover with a lid and continue to saute the vegetables until they are just soft.
2. Meanwhile grind half the cashew nuts very finely and leave the rest chunky (pulse in a blender for a few seconds or leave whole).
2. Remove pan from heat and stir in cashews, tomato puree and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place in a greased 2 lb/900g loaf tin and bake in a preheated 180C/350F/gas mark 4 oven for 3/4-1 hour or until golden brown. The centre should still feel soft to touch. Suitable for freezing. Serves 4-5.
- Almonds, walnuts or mixed nuts can replace the ground almonds;
- Add 2 oz ground peanuts, sunflower or pumpkin seeds to vary the taste and texture;
- Replace the onions with leeks or the carrots with parsnips or even add sweet potatoes.